There’s no doubt that Epic Games’ Fortnite has been an enormous success. It’s currently one of the most popular games in the world, especially with younger audiences.
The game is pretty well optimized, but there are still many things you can do to increase the performance by huge margins.
Here is our Fortnite optimization guide!
Table of ContentsShow
As we also mentioned in our PUBG optimization guide, you need to optimize your PC a bit before you play around with the game settings. If you have a laptop, set the Battery Mode to ‘High Performance’.
Also, make sure that you have the latest GPU drivers as well as the latest Windows version.
Do you have a GPU from NVIDIA? Then follow the guide below.
- Open the NVIDIA Control Panel and navigate to Manage 3D Settings
- Select the tab Program Settings and find Fortnite. If you have trouble finding it, click on Add and find it there (try running the game first and close it down again before doing this)
- Set Maximum pre-rendered frames to 1
- Set Monitor Technology to G-SYNC (if applicable)
- Set Multi-Display/Mixed GPU Acceleration to Single display performance mode
- Set Power Management Mode to Prefer maximum performance
- Set Texture filtering – Quality to Performance
- Disable Vertical Sync
- Enable Threaded Optimization
- Set Preferred Refresh Rate to Highest available
- Apply the changes and navigate to Adjust desktop size and position
- Check the checkbox Override the scaling mode set by games and programs and click on Apply
Also, make sure that you disable mouse acceleration if you want to improve your muscle memory and your aiming skills in general.
Disable Windows Update Delivery Optimization
Now it’s time to disable Windows Update Delivery Optimization. Here’s how to do it:
- Open the start menu, type Windows Update settings and click on the search result for it
- Click on Advanced Options
- Click on Delivery Optimization
- Make sure that Allow downloads from other PCs is off
You should disable OneDrive if you’re not using it. Right-click on the OneDrive icon on your taskbar and click on Exit.
Optimizing Game Settings
- Launch Fortnite and click on Battle Royale
- Go to the Settings menu by clicking on the three lines at the top right corner of the screen and then the gear icon
- We recommend that you set Window Mode to Fullscreen
- Set the Frame Rate Limit to Unlimited
- Ensure 3D Resolution is 100.0% (it’s better to just lower your Display Resolution above this setting than to adjust this setting)
- Set View Distance to Epic (you can lower this if you want extra performance as this setting does not affect players)
- Set Shadows to Off
- Set Anti-Aliasing to Off
- Set Textures to Medium and adjust according to your liking. If you have good FPS, then you can increase this setting and vice versa
- Set Effects to Low
- Set Post Processing to Low
- Set Vsync to Off
- Set Motion Blur to Off
- Save the settings and exit Fortnite
If you happen to use Discord, ensure that you optimize it as well to boost your FPS in all games while Discord is running.
- Open Discord and go to the User Settings page
- Open the Appearance tab and uncheck Hardware Acceleration
Optimizing Google Chrome
You can also turn off hardware acceleration in Google Chrome. This way, background applications executed by Chrome won’t consume too many resources while you’re playing.
- Open Google Chrome and go to the Settings page
- Scroll all the way down and click on the Advanced tab
- Again, scroll all the way down and make sure that Use hardware acceleration when available is turned off
- Relaunch Google Chrome and close it again
Clean Your Temporary Files
- Press start, search after %localappdata% and press Enter
- Open the Temp folder
- Press CTRL + A to select all files in the folder
- Press the Delete button on your keyboard to delete these temporary files (skip the ones it won’t delete)
- Empty your recycle bin
Alternatively, you can use CCleaner – the free version will do the trick.
After you’ve finished optimizing both your PC and Fortnite, make sure to restart your PC.
And there you go! If you follow these steps and trust our setting adjustments recommendations, you’ll surely notice an increase in performance. Hopefully, you’ll now be able to get the best out of the incredible game that is Fortnite.